Savory Rosemary, Fig, and Walnut Scones
|Gluten-free ﬂour blend (containing xanthan gum)||1 1/4 cup|
|Old-fashioned rolled oats||1 cup|
|Granulated sugar||2 tablespoons|
|Baking powder||1 tablespoon|
|Nutritional yeast (optional)||1 tablespoon|
|Chilled plant-based buttery spread, cubed||1/2 cup|
|SOWN™ Unsweetened Oat Creamer||1/2 cup|
|White vinegar||1/2 teaspoon|
|Flax meal||2 tablespoon|
|Fresh rosemary, ﬁnely chopped||1 1/2 tablespoons|
|Dried ﬁgs, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Walnuts, chopped||1/4 cup|
1. Nutritional yeast adds a savory “cheesiness”. Feel free to omit.
2. Dried apricots, cranberries or golden raisins are all great substitutions for the dried ﬁgs.
3. Make sure to use a gluten-free ﬂour that contains xanthan gum. Otherwise add 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum to dry ingredients.
1. Preheat oven to 425° F
2. In a small bowl, combine the ﬂax meal and water. In another bowl, combine the SOWN Unsweetened Oat Creamer and vinegar. Stir gently.
3. In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free ﬂour, oats, sugar, baking powder, nutritional yeast, and salt. Stir a few times. If using ﬂour that does not contain xanthan gum, add xanthan gum separately here.
4. Add the cubed plant-based buttery spread (make sure it is cold!). Use a pastry blender, a knife, or clean hands to cut the buttery spread into the ﬂour mixture until it forms pea-sized clumps. There should still be some larger chunks of buttery spread.
5. Add the ﬂax meal and water mixture and the SOWN Unsweetened Oat Creamer. Stir a few times.
6. Add the remaining ingredients. Use hands to combine and bring the dough together into a loose ball. Do not overwork the dough!
7. Place dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and ﬂatten into a round disk approximately 1/2 inch thick.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 equal wedges. Separate the wedges slightly to allow for even baking.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy warm!