Toasted Coconut Tres Leches Cake
|Baked vanilla cake||1 (9x13)|
|Full-fat coconut milk (not cream of coconut)||1 13.5 ounce can|
|SOWN Sweet & Creamy Oat Creamer||2/3 cup|
|Non-dairy milk of choice||1/4 cup|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Cold coconut cream (refrigerated overnight) from one 13.5 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk||1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cups|
|Powdered sugar||6 tablespoons|
|SOWN Sweet & Creamy Oat Creamer||2 tablespoons|
|Sweetened coconut flakes, toasted||1/2 cup|
1. Use your favorite vanilla cake for this recipe. Mix or scratch cakes will work!
2. If using a 9×13 pan, this recipe makes 24 servings.
1. Prepare and bake vanilla cake according to recipe in a 9×13 pan. Allow to cool slightly
2. In a small bowl, combine the ﬂax meal and water. In another bowl, combine the SOWN Unsweetened Oat Creamer and vinegar. Stir gently.
3. Use a fork or skewer to poke holes over the entire surface of the baked cake all the way to the bottom. You want to make space for the milk mixture to soak into the cake. The more holes the better!
4. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake and use a spatula to help spread it into the holes and around the sides of the cake. Leave cake at room temperature for 15-30 minutes to allow all of the milk to soak into the cake. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
5. Meanwhile, make topping. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream on high speed until the cream has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, SOWN Sweet & Creamy Oat Creamer, and salt. Beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until mixture is light, fluffy and holds soft peaks. Spread topping evenly over the top of the chilled cake.
6. Spread topping evenly onto the chilled cake.
7. To toast the coconut flakes, evenly spread flakes onto a baking sheet and toast in a 400˚ F oven for 4-6 minutes until golden brown and fragrant, stirring every few minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then evenly sprinkle over the topping.
8. Chill cake for an additional 30 minutes to 2 hours. Serve.